What is a Learning Commons?
A Learning Commons is a common, or shared, learning space that is both physical and virtual. A Learning Commons supports a student centered approach that emphasizes active and collaborative engagement and encourages the co-creation of knowledge by all learners.
Well, hard to believe we’re already looking at June. Here’s what’s up for the next couple of weeks in the Learning Commons.
- The Learning Commons will be open for two more weeks. The last day for students will be June 11.
- There will be book exchange this week (May 31 – June 3), and all books are due the following week. We’ll be running the Shelf Elf contest again for the first class that gets all their books returned on their due date.
- There will be a variety of things happening this week – Grade 6s will be working on our Kindness Alphabet for next year, Grade 5’s are working on a “top secret project”, Grade 3 and 4 will be continuing reading the novel we started during our at home learning time, and all our other grades will be finishing up the Journey trilogy by Aaron Becker.
- Our last week will be favourite picture books (I can’t wait!)
- I will get started on Inventory this Friday PD, and get really focused on it once the kids are no longer coming.
- I’ll send out due dates for staff outstanding items later in the month.
SD Learning Commons Mission Statement
To facilitate literacy, ethical global citizenship and learning opportunities as a collaborative community of innovative lifelong learners.