Full-Time Kindergarten Program
This *NEW* Early Learning Program becomes available September 2021.
What is our Full-Time Early Learning Program?
The Foothills School Division is offering an optional Full-Time Kindergarten Program. Students that participate in our Early Learning Program will attend school Monday-Friday, and the program will be led by a certified and experienced kindergarten teacher. Our play-based program will prioritize the holistic development of each child, supporting all learners in developing the foundational knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for success in school and in their communities. We will frame this work through the Alberta Kindergarten Program of Studies that focuses on:
- Literacy & Numeracy
- Physical Skills & Well-Being
- Creative Expression
- Personal & Social Responsibility
- Citizenship & Identity
- Environmental & Community Awareness
The full-time kindergarten program will be available in 4 schools across the Division, including Okotoks (Dr. Morris Gibson School and Big Rock School), High River (Spitzee Elementary School), and Black Diamond (C. Ian McLaren School).
Families in all locations are welcome to apply for this program, however, it is expected that students will return to their designated school upon entry into Grade 1. We do understand that some families may prefer to send their child to a location outside their designated school attendance boundary, these families would be required to review Administrative Procedure 305 and submit their School of Choice application prior to the commencing Grade 1.
Registration is currently OPEN for our Full-Time Early Learning Program.
Please note that the full-time Kindergarten program is in addition to our existing part-time Kindergarten programs. Full-time Kindergarten programs are subject to enrollment and may not be available in all locations.
- If your child is not yet registered for an early learning program, please follow this link and complete the division registration form. Your registration will be marked as pending until such time that you receive confirmation from your school administration team.
- If your child is already registered in a part-time program(at the same school), please contact the school via phone or email to let them know of your preference to be enrolled in full-time Kindergarten. School staff will transfer your existing registration to the full-time program.
- If your child is already registered in a part-time program(at a different school), please re-register online for the full-time program by following this link. If possible, please contact your prior school to let them know to cancel your existing registration.
Some of the benefits of full-time kindergarten include an increase in reading, writing, and math proficiency. These programs may also lead to an increase in language and communication skills, as well as support in the development of socio-emotional well-being. Finally, full-time kindergarten can lead to long-term success in schools, past the early years. The research is clear that a strong foundation in early years education positions students well for success in the future, and this benefits not only the student but the entire community.
School bus service is available to students attending within their designated school boundary. Families residing outside of their designated area will be responsible for organizing their own transportation. To verify your school attendance boundary, click here.
$250 per month. 10 payments will be charged from September to June.
An online information evening was held on Wednesday, March 31st at 6:30pm. Miriam Ramzy, Director of Student Learning (Junior Kindergarten - Grade 6), was available to review the program and answer questions. You can review the slide presentation or listen to the recording below:
If you are unable to attend the information night, you may email your questions to Miriam Ramzy or call 403-652-3001.
We look very forward to welcoming your family to the Foothills School Division in September 2021!