Foothills School Division would like to remind families of available parking options at our schools. To ensure the safety of children who are being dropped off or picked up at school, please follow these tips:
Know the Laws
- U-turns are not permitted in front of schools or anywhere within a school zone;
- Avoid double parking;
- Watch for signs indicating ‘No Stopping’, 'Buses Only' and ‘No Parking’ zones;
- Jaywalking is illegal in a school zone. Parents are asked to take the time to emphasize safety over convenience;
- Keep school bus zones clear so children can step off the bus and onto a curb instead of exiting into a busy street;
- Park a least 5 metres from any crosswalk markings, stop signs, yield signs or intersections so that you can clearly see any children in the area;
- Be careful in alleys, there are several parking restrictions such as leaving less than 3 metres clearance or blocking a private driveway, garage, or fire door; and
- Avoid blocking entrances to garages or driveways. Stay back at least 1.5 metres.
Respect Our Neighbours
There are community members who are concerned about the number of people parking across their driveway, or using their driveway as a way to make a turn. Please be respectful of our neighbours. Do not park on private property, block driveways or park side-by-side.
There is very limited parking around our schools. Please consider the safety of your children and all of our students when parking your vehicle. When you park too close to a stop sign, crosswalk or intersection it makes it difficult for your children to see oncoming vehicles thus endangering their safety. Remember, the staff parking lot is not to be used for pick-up and drop-off of students. If you are uncertain as to where you can safely and legally park, please contact your school for nearby options.