Outdoor Education at Westmount school is comprised of three different strands of outdoor learning available to our students. They are...
1. Outdoor Experiences - outdoor opportunities through your child's PE program
Grade 3-6 PE Program
- Outdoor Games, Snow shoeing/XC skiing – day hikes, lake/pool kayaking
Grade 7-9 PE Option
- 2/3 week units
- on/off campus learning + 1-2 day trips/unit
- Camping/hiking skills I/II, mountain biking I/II, kayaking/first aid, cross country skiing/snowshoeing, geocaching/orienteering
2. Outdoor Leadership - a Junior High Option Class
- Grade 7-9 Option, days off campus learning per term working towards multi day/night trips.
- Day Hiking, Backpacking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, kayaking – hostel based or ACC hut trips
- Stewardship days
3. Hunter Education- a Junior High Option Class
Grade 7-9 Option
- Students develop skills in archery, fishing, rifle-marksmanship, day hiking, species identification, etc.